Disappearing from Facebook...and why.

12.07.2009

This post is in response to so many of my friends asking me why I deleted my Facebook account. To be clear, I don't think that Facebook is bad, evil, or entirely boring or a complete waste of time. Why did I then delete my account?

  • I prayed about it and it was what God wanted me to do.
  • While it was great to be able to connect to so many people, I feel that I was not able to invest quality time in people's lives - it's the difference between a group music lesson and a private lesson, or a group dance class and a private session.
  • After weighing the costs and benefits, the costs weighed more. It took up too much of my time for me to be able to justify it anymore. Yes, I could have spent less time, but from my point of view, now I'm not spending any time on Facebook!
  • The friends and family that I want to stay connected with or that want to stay in touch with me can still do so - by email, by IM, or by phone. I txt and have data on my phone, so I'm on my Yahoo! (thecityboy319) pretty much 24/7. I'm also on Twitter - and I'd love it if you followed me! I also have a new blog, just for pictures.
  • Now that I'm at college, I've realized that God has a plan not just for my life as a whole, but for each and every minute of every day. After prayer, and after having others pray with and for me, I decided to delete my Facebook account. I'm not disappearing. I'm gonna stay right here, blogging. I'm on Twitter. And you know what I've realized? Sometimes a good old-fashioned phone call is better than a hundred wall posts ;).
Those are my main reasons why, if you have a particular bone to pick, question to ask, or just wanna rant because I'm not on anymore - click away at that comment button. I'll answer you unless I think you're being a jerk about it...lol j/k. I'll answer unless you're just ranting and raving at me :).

Love y'all.

2 comments:

Emily said...

:) You know I'm not really mad at you... life will go on and we'll still stay in touch. After all, I've been in such a whirl the past month that I've only been on fb (or even just the computer) a handful of times. I guess I just like it because I have so many friends from our long distance moves.

Alexander said...

Lol I know you're not mad...and we will definitely stay in touch. Lord willing I'll see you more often once school starts up again.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones