Session Eight - John Piper (Is There Christian Eloquence? Clear Words and the Wonder of the Cross)

10.02.2008

(I Corinthians 1:17, 2:1)
(Colossians 3:17)

There is a way of speaking that takes away from the power of the Gospel.

Everybody can have an "eloquence problem," its not a matter of education or not.

Paul isn't rejecting eloquence, but the use of eloquence to exalt oneself above the power and glory of the cross.

Two-pronged criteria:
- All about being clever
- Failing to use language for Christ's glory?

How am I using my words?
- To make me look good, smart, or clever?
- Or to exalt Christ?

Reasons to use eloquence:

  1. May keep people focused - help their weaknesses
  2. May bring an adversary into agreement/respect
  3. May stimulate emotional/physical sensitivity
  4. May increase impact by memory
  5. Can increase the power of words
Yes, there is Christian eloquence. Faith comes by hearing the Word. The Word is eloquent.

God will glorify Himself either through or despite my eloquence. He is sovereign. In my worst moments He can save a sinner.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex, I finally was able to read your blog. I really liked it. It makes me wish I could have gone to the conference! :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones